25/12/2013

Fluon top ten tracks of 2013

You probably have already read through some "best of 2013" lists. I didn't agree with the ones I read, so I decided to compile Fluon's top 10 tracks of 2013. When choosing the tracks I took nothing, but my own feelings into account. So have fun with this, listen and comment if you think something is missing. Also merry Xmas.



10. Awkwafina - "Mayor Bloomberg (Giant Margaritas)"
NYC nerd girl rapping to the mayor about giant margaritas. The video is as random. What's not to love?



9. Proxy - "Cobra Combo"
The soviet jungle's rambo Proxy delivers a new batch of bulldozer bass. His tracks are kind of a whole, but if I had to pick one then I'd go for the Cobra Combo with its crazy fidgeting.




8. James Blake - "Retrograde"
This track is the only one that matches between me and the big media tops. Hauntingly slow and dreamy. Is this song sad or happy, groovy or winding? It's perfectly in between everything and the little details rock the mood.
P.S. took a while to find an embed able audio source. Idiots at UMG (Universal) have disabled embeds for blogger for this and a couple more tracks on this list.




7. Bloody Beetroots - "Reactivate"
The "Hide" album is a great as a whole and when I first got it, I played it around five time in a row. They mix edm and different types of rock effortlessly and the finished tracks are dance able, but also tell a story. I picked "Reactivate", because it is one of the most high energy tracks and the most consistent as a dance track. "Please Baby" was a close second.




6. Disclosure - "Grab Her"
One of the roughest tracks off "Settle". A Very groovy dance floor track. I don't think there's a need to introduce Disclosure further. Never mind the video, this is the embed able version of the track.



5. M.I.A. - "aTENTion"
The freshest track off "Matangi" with a fresh vibe and it blends calmness with cockiness. M.I.A. radiates vision and confidence in everything she does and all of the music is fresh. I love the 90s vibe in "aTENTion". This might not be the final version by the way.

 


4. Digitalism - "Lift"
Digitalism reminds me of some of my own music without their rock influences. Their tracks with vocals are a special treat for the ears. Especially this year's Lift. Their Boiler Room mix gives clues of more great releases on the way.



3. Alesia - "Jezabel"
This track sound like the dominator hanging with trapsters and doing shots in a bar. Nothing beats hard French electro groove. And they are the ones to keep your eye on.



2. Gesaffelstein - "Hate or Glory"
Gesaffelstein was one of my favorite artists overall this year. He achieves the effect which I have strived for, but with a tempo that is twice as slow.
I'm not the biggest fan of the "Hate or Glory" video, but the music is pure genious with its minimal tension and the contrast between different parts.




1. Kanye West – "New Slaves (Dj Snake Remix)"

It's hard to beat Kanye's album Yeezus. When one of the best tracks off it is remixed even harder then it's a magic combination. Dj Snake is on the same compilation with Alesia, so it's a power combo. I hope 2014 will bring more of Yeezus.


See you soon, maybe even before new year.
Barthol