03/03/2013

Confessing Fluon - post #150!

I always know I get a dose of color and life. When it's gray outside then Fluon is like a vitamin pill

Here's a piece of my Daft Punk remix to listen to as you check this monster post about the essence of Fluon.
Daft punk - High Life (Barthol Lo Mejor remix) extract
One of the most colorful acts ever seen was in the "world's smallest cabaret" in Paris, 2009

As this is post #150 I have decided to write about doing Fluon. It all started in Paris back in 2009. At the time I was already doing 2 blogs. First my travel blog "RaveInParis" which was about my adventures in Paris and everything along the way.

I was visiting a friend in Paris when orchestra students arrived with marker-drawn faces
and started taking of their clothes, 2009


The second was "You Are Cute if You Listen" which is  a blog about what people are listening to on their iPods on the streets, in the metro and parks.

A good friend in Paris shouted "lets do something crazy" and then climbed the traffic light, 2009

Fluon was at first supposed to be something like Tumblr to gather all the images that inspire me. The title was incorporates "fluorescent" (which is a very French word) and "neon".  That's the visual and attitude I have been going for all the time.

My favorite polish girl in Paris at my birthday with her polish girlfriend, she also had a French boyfriend, 2009

At first there weren't that many photos or text, but as time went on I got into it more and more and wanted to give it a magazine-like feel. Of course one of the biggest influences has been Vice magazine, but also writers like Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson with their simple but effective style.

Shopping in Paris with an almost local girl, 2009

The goal has been to talk about what goes on around the music I produce and to share visual images that inspire me so that people get a better sense of my creation and vision.

Fantomas from Art Security used to go around wearing deep blue welding glasses, 2009


Also it's about documenting the loose scene I have been a part of for over ten years. There's no real way of labeling or limiting it but it incorporates to some extent scenes like Tartu Electro, Robodada and indie electro.

My flatmate after Paris and her friend enjoying champagne from the bottle, 2009

Fluon is also my main outlet for the photos I take. From 2012 I have around 7500 photos and consider that I erase duplicates and most of blurry ones, not to mention that for months I didn't have a camera.

Trying to open a wine bottle at old Salvador, 2009

I usually have my small camera with me at all times and I take pictures of everything that I find interesting. For you I select photos that tell a story. I do the same with words, but I have often heard that people only come for the photos or they just skim the blog.

She loves bass and she got it for her birthday, 2009

I like it when people take the time to relive what happened that night and they get to experience a small adventure. Usually it's a party, sometimes an exhibition and other times it's something else, but it's always fun.

Smooching, 2010

I confess I like taking sexy photos of girls where ever they are, but that's not the main point of Fluon. It's about our youth - the parties of yesterday and today and hopefully tomorrow and everything that goes along with it.

The most colorful Estonian act - Queennaive in Plink Plonk, 2009

The coolest bands and DJs and festivals that deserve to be remembered and reminisced about have a place on Fluon. Where else can you find out what the hottest party was a year ago? Who else is going to tell you ten ways to get into a party for free?

This is something in the lines of Vice Magazine, 2009

So this is why I do it every week (at least I try to). If you come by and you enjoy it then leave a comment, a like, or a listen on the Soundcloud player for me.

Under my window, she liked to stay on the ground for hours, 2009

Leaving the girls alone with your camera might be a good idea. Old Salvador toilet, 2009

Timo Toots' Linnujaam next to the Tallinn airport, 2009

Kiwa and Madis Ligema playing at Genklubi with the coolest visuals, 2009

A pair of night swinging girls, 2009

At Nicolas' rooftop party with friends, 2012
See you soon and thanks for coming back!
Barthol