19/02/2013

No sleep, just play

That hallway live was really special

What a wild weekend. I played three nights in a row, it's a personal best. It all started on Thursday night when I was the warm up DJ for Sunlight Heart at Von Krahl bar. I played the first hour and to keep it mellow I played tracks I wouldn't get to usually play.

Pouring shots of beats at Von Krahl

There were not that many people, but the night was fun. The bad part was when the sound guy took one of the RCA cables that connected the deck to the mixer and told me to keep playing with one deck.

The set up for the apartment-hallway live.

It sucked, but somehow I managed to pull it off. On the bright side there was rum back stage, just too bad there was nothing but beer to mix it with.

The crowd of my apartment live.

On Friday Ao street was celebrating it's 80th jubilee. People were on the streets with tables full of food and drinks. There were reinforcements from the Uus Maailm district and nearby streets.

Playing from the apartment.

I was to play a live in a hallway. Hannaliisa Uusmaa also played a set in the hallway next door, but unfortunatly I didn't see it happening as I was busy setting up my own set.

These girls were in a hurry to flee from Leace and Pove.

The short 20 minute live was cool, as I have never seen a setup like that and the people seemed to enjoy standing in the hallway and on the stairs. If something then maybe the speakers should have been bigger.

At Noorus, looking for Bert on Beats.

After the jubilee I swung by Leace and Pove to see what it's all about. I had to see Progress for a second day in the row there. The space at Guitar hunt wasn't best for this kind of party as it was mostly chairs and tables and not that much room to move around in.

The awesome bar staff, too bad yet again there was no long drink.

We continued the night in Must Puudel and then we headed over to Noorus bar. We heard that Bert on Beats was celebrating his birthday there. I just got to wish him a happy birthday before he took off.

Dj Zuks in deep concentration.

On Saturday we headed to Tartu with Sunlight Heart. They were scheduled to play Kink Konk, so me and Zuks were to be the warm up and cool down acts. It was quite a lot of playing, three hours per Dj, but it's nothing we haven't already done at Danger Danger. The hardest part was the ride to Tartu. I don't think it has ever taken me four hours to get to Tartu before. Nevertheless it was an adventure, a road trip with a car full of sound equipment and instruments.

The core of Sunlight Heart.

I decided to play some IDM classics like Autechre and Amon Tobin to cool the people before the band went on to cool them down. I didn't think people would be able to dance to Autechre that well. The bands performance went much better than in Von Krahl.

Getting naughty.

By that time I had slept 15 hours altogether in three nights. So I didn't mind that much when Dj Renka started setting up turntables to take over with house.

What do you think she told her?

See you soon and thanks for coming,
Barthol.